What is Diverticulitis?
As a person grows old, the wall of the colon grows thicker. Thicker colon walls do not allow waste to pass through easily. This results in formation of sacs of tissue on the colon. These sacs are termed as diverticulum and diverticulitis is the term that refers to the condition caused by bursting of these sacs. Though these sacs can occur all along the length of the colon but the most common area for the development of these sacs is the end of the left colon. These sacs tend to burst due to pressure exerted due to inability to pass proper motion. The most common cause of this condition is lack of fiber in the diet.
Symptoms of Diverticulitis:
Pain in the abdomen, weakness of the abdomen and fever are the most common symptoms of this ailment. Some patients may also complaint of blood in their stool. This may be due to bursting of a diverticulum. In patients complaining of more serious form of ailment may experience cramps and constipation. Rupture of a diverticulum needs medical attention immediately.
Home Remedies for Treating Diverticulitis:
It is important that the moment you detect diverticulitis, intake of junk food, caffeine should be reduced. Ensure that the diet is rich in fiber. Another thing that can be done is to have small but frequent meals. Some of the home remedies that can be adopted for relief from this medical condition are:
- Increase your intake of Water: Drink adequate quantity of water, six to eight glasses of water. Water is an essential component and it helps check constipation.
- Substitute White Rice with Brown Rice: Brown rice is a boon for the digestive system. Easy to digest it provides the body with enough fiber.
- Papaya: Papaya aids digestion as it is rich in papain. Papaya can be had just as it is, in a fruit salad or even drawn into juice.
- Garlic: Garlic is known to aid digestion. Incorporate it in the meals or just gulp a clove of garlic with warm water.
- Pear: Pear helps provide comfort from inflammation of the colon.
Diverticulitis requires management and a change of lifestyle. Add fruits, vegetables, whole grain and enough water to your diet for dealing with this medical condition.