Bumped in to the door? Had a bang on with your friend or some random stranger, while you were busy with your thoughts? You will laugh when you will see the reminder for your clumsiness, yes they are the bruises. A bruise is an injury to the tissue just below the skin. It is a result of blood vessels rupturing as a result of contact with some foreign body. The blood vessels drain the blood into surrounding areas and the result is a discolored patch. The color may be blue, black, red or purple depending upon the intensity of the contact. Bruises may change color while healing also. They are interesting isn’t it?
Women are more prone to bruising; blame it on their multi tasking or their habit of obsessing over things and the continuous thoughts thereby in their minds all the time. The ageing process also weakens the tissues and one becomes prone to injuries. Blood thinning medicines like aspirin also delays the clotting process.
Bruises are also known as contusion in medical terms. Generally they are harmless in nature. However, some types of bruises may be an indicator of internal fractures or hematoma or internal bleeding. They must be immediately attended to by a respective doctor.
Some common causes for Bruises are:
- Accidental injury and falls
- Physical abuse and fights
- Low immunity or immune disorders (e.g.: AIDS)
- Aplastic anemia
- Rupturing of blood vessels
- Bleeding disorders
- Certain blood thinning drugs like aspirin
- Extreme forms of exercises, dancing or athletics
- Dietary supplements like gingko, fish oil, and garlic
- Corticosteroids, those are responsible for thinning the skin
Some home remedies to heal bruises faster:
- Soak a cotton ball in vinegar and apply it to the bruise for an hour.
- Soak a cotton ball in comfrey root or buchu tea and apply.
- Arnica, an Ayurvedic herb helps in reducing bruises faster. Apply an infusion of arnica, chamomile and yarrow to the affected region. This is an antiseptic and analgesic infusion.
- Crush some parsley leaves and apply onto the bruises. It contains natural vitamins for speedy recovery.
- Take vitamins K and C and also alfa-alfa supplements
- Witch hazel has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Take a soothing bath with witch hazel.
- Crush some comfrey leaves, apply it on the bruises and bandage.
- Mix one part of cayenne pepper and five parts of melted petroleum jelly. Allow it to cool and apply on the bruises once daily.
- Cabbage has anti-inflammatory properties. Crush some cabbage leaved and apply the juice to the affected area.
- It is best to consult a physician and get a test done for diabetes, if the bruise is not healing.
- Be Careful!