Also known as aphthous ulcers, Canker Sores are harmless, shallow yet painful breaks that occur in the mouth. Causing much discomfort they are experienced by most of us at some point of time in our lives. These are often confused with fever blisters.
Symptoms of Canker Sores:
Canker Sores are easy to recognize. These occur in the inside of lips, cheeks, base of gums or even under the tongue. These are small and oval or round in shape. With a white center, the area around is inflamed and red in color. These causes much discomfort and pain while drinking or eating.
Causes of Canker Sores:
With no specific reasons leading to their eruption in the mouth, anxiety, stress, reaction to a drug, use of tobacco, faulty lifestyle and diet, menstruation and pregnancy are some of the reasons that may cause these sores in the mouth. These are also known to run in families, but are more common amongst females and young ones.
Home Remedies for Canker Sores of the Mouth:
Taking care or oral hygiene and using natural products works the best while dealing with canker sores. Some of the home remedies that are known to provide relief from this condition are:
- The simplest and the easiest remedy that one can adopt is to rinse the mouth 4 to 5 times in a day with slightly warm water after adding a teaspoon of common salt to it.
- Applying black tea bags on the sores helps in reducing the inflammation. The tannin present in tea helps reduce the pain also.
- Rinsing the mouth with juice from aloe Vera leaves mixed with a little water in it five to six times a day provides relief from pain.
- Applying a mixture prepared by mixing a spoon of honey with one fourth teaspoon of turmeric on the sores helps in healing the sores. The mixture may irritate initially, but in the long term, it helps to heal the sores quickly.
- Prepare a mixture of baking soda mixed with water or add one teaspoon each of baking soda, common salt to 60ml hydrogen peroxide and rinsing of mouth with these solutions 4-5 times a day helps provide relief from the discomfort caused by sores. The mixtures can be diluted further to make the taste acceptable.
The other common remedies that are known to help in treating canker sores are rinsing the mouth with plum juice, applying alum, applying onion juice or a piece of onion directly.
It is best to avoid alcohol, tobacco, spices and oily food while experiencing canker sores as these foods and products tend to worsen the sores and discomfort.